Metal & Alloy Analysis, Identification, and Testing
Volatile base metal prices, combined with globalized trade in scrap metal, alloy stock, and finished products have increased the costs of alloy mix-ups to suppliers, distributors, and industrial consumers. Now available with groundbreaking Thermo Scientific geometrically optimized large area drift detector (GOLDD™) technology, Thermo Scientific Niton XL3t Series and Niton® XL2 Series x-ray fluorescence (XRF) alloy analyzers meet your demand for faster, more accurate metal testing results. You get extraordinary performance in a lightweight, rugged XRF analyzer perfectly matched for most metal alloy testing applications.
Now with Engine Guard
Protect critical detection components in your analyzer and minimize operational downtime with the new patented Engine Guard. The rock solid cover guards the detector, tube and other internal components from sharp objects that can damage your analyzer and result in costly repairs. Get better protection for a better analyzer.
The Right Configuration for Your Application
When it comes to metal analysis/alloy analysis, you can choose from a range of configurations of our Thermo Scientific portable XRF alloy analyzers as well as an assortment of optional features and accessories to match any of your analytical needs.
Fast, Reliable Alloy Analysis with GOLDD Technology
Now, in addition to our Niton XL3t alloy analyzer, already known for its superior positive grade identification and alloy analysis, we offer the enhanced Niton XL3t GOLDD+ as well as the recently added Niton XL2 GOLDD. These are the definitive tools for answering your metal and alloy analysis requirements, delivering improvements with:
- Light element detection (Mg, Al, Si, P, S) without helium or vacuum purge
- Increased overall sensitivity
- Shorter measurement times
Scrap Metal Recycling/Scrap Metal Sorting
- Lower detection limits and faster analysis – sort more loads in less time
- Enhanced detection limits for trace/tramp elements
- Superior light element performance for sorting Al, Ti, and bronze alloys
- Value offering for independent and regional metal recyclers - use the same technology as 95% of the world's largest metal recyclers¹.
Quality Assurance with XRF/Quality Control with XRF
- Instant, positive grade identification for alloy quality control
- Reduce scrap and rework – recover lost traceability in seconds
- Real-time, traceable results – not questionable paperwork
Positive Material Identification (PMI)
- Incoming, in-stock, or in-service component testing
- Accurate grade identification and elemental analysis in just seconds
- Hot-surface testing to 842° F (450° C)
- Fast, simple reporting and certificate generation
- Residual element analysis of carbon steel in HF alkylation units
Flow Accelerated Corrosion (FAC)
- Lower detection limits for Cr, Cu, Ni, and Mo in carbon steel
- Totally nondestructive – sample stays completely intact
- Easy reporting and data export
Precious Metals & Jewelry Analysis
- Simultaneous analysis of all precious metals
- Fast, easy, and accurate karat sorting; results in less than 5 seconds
- Nondestructive test; no acid
- Faster, more comprehensive than fire assay with comparable accuracy
Other Metal Analysis with XRF Applications
Our XRF analyzers are valuable tools for a number of less prominent, but no less important, metal alloy analysis applications such as:
- Coating Thickness Measurement - Use our totally nondestructive Thermo Scientific Niton XRF analyzers to perform at-line analysis. Samples stay intact on the line with no sample cutting. Accurate data prevents over-coating, under-coating.
- Iron Slag Analysis – Thermo Scientific Niton XRF analyzers provide a reliable method for monitoring the elemental content of iron slags during recycling and refining
- Many more potential applications - contact us with your specific alloy analysis needs
Thermo Scientific Portable XRF Analyzers – The First Choice for Metal and Alloy Analysis
With more than 35,000 of our Thermo Scientific portable analyzers successfully deployed in the field, it is no wonder that they have set the standard for handheld and field-portable XRF analyzers worldwide. Contact us today for a demonstration and discover how these versatile instruments can help with your metal and alloy analysis needs.
¹Based on metal alloy recyclers using analytical equipment to sort alloys and publicly reported sales data as of July, 2009