Toys & Consumer Goods Testing with XRF
Verification, testing, and screening for toxic metal in consumer goods such as toys are imperative to protect our children from lead poisoning and to reduce the risk associated with distributing lead- and cadmium-containing products.
Partially due to the startling amount of lead in children's toys that was found on retail shelves over the past few years, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) of 2008 was signed into law. What are the highlights of this consumer product safety law and what do they mean to you?
Watch CPSC video
- Decreased permissible levels of lead in paint
- Regulated levels of lead in all other materials
- Increased civil penalties for lead contamination in consumer goods
- Critical deadlines for lower lead content first on February 10, 2009, and again most recently on August 14, 2009
Handheld and Field-Mobile XRF – The Ideal Tools for Consumer Goods Screening
When it comes to testing toys for lead, or screening other child-accessible products like apparel, jewelry, cosmetics, and furniture, Thermo Scientific portable XRF analyzers, available with groundbreaking GOLDD™ technology, are the only x-ray fluorescence (XRF) analyzers that can distinguish between lead on the surface of a toy or object from lead in the substrate. Quick. Accurate. Precise. Our XRF analyzers can provide the solutionanswer when you need to test consumer goods for lead or other toxic metals, including those listed in ASTM F-963 and EN-71 which regulate consumer products designed for children under the age of 12.
- Lead (Pb)
- Barium (Ba)
- Antimony (Sb)
- Selenium (Se)
- Cadmium (Cd)
- Mercury (Hg)
- Arsenic (As)
- Chromium (Cr)
"The XRF analyzer allows us to do a quick, on-the-spot check for lead. It's portable, and we can use this technology and get immediate results."
Dr. Joel Recht, director Chemistry Division, U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, "CPSC Utilizes New Tool to Crack Down on Toys with Lead - XRF Gun Helping Agency Protect Children from Lead,"
CPSC Video News Release, November 13, 2008
The One to Trust – Meeting the Demands of the CPSIA
Thermo Scientific portable XRF analyzers are the same instruments that were chosen by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the European Union's Product Safety Enforcement Forum (PROSAFE), the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Customs & Border Protection, Health Canada, and numerous leading manufacturers and retailers in the consumer goods industry. You benefit in a variety of ways from these remarkable tools:
- Flexible – Test toys, apparel, fashion jewelry, furniture, and other soft and hard goods for lead, in compliance with the CPSIA, EN-71, and California's Proposition 65
- Easy to use – TestAll™ technology automatically selects the correct analytical mode for non-technical users
- Powerful – Integrated camera and spot size as small as 1 mm help you accurately isolate small samples and visually document your measurements
- Portable – The lead toy testand all consumer goods screening can occur in-situ on the toy, in the factory, product integrity lab, on the dock, or in the warehouse...or can easily be used for vendor audits
- Fast – Lead and toxic material screening takes seconds to minutes, not days. Decision to ship product can happen immediately
- Non-destructive – The analyzed toy or product is not defaced or affected in any way
TestAll Tells All
TestAll technology adds powerful features to what are already the most versatile handheld and field-mobile XRF analyzers available today. It automatically selects the correct analytical mode, helping to eliminate guesswork for faster, more efficient product screening. Of greater importance, this new software along with the included Painted Products mode, makes our XRF analyzers the only instruments of their kind capable of differentiating between
- Lead on the surface of a toy or consumer product, such as paint or glaze (measured in µg/cm2)
- Lead that exists in all other substrates, such as plastic, metal, or wood (measured in ppm)
For more information on our XRF technology and products:
Contact us today for a demonstration and discover how these versatile XRF instruments can help you meet the lead and toxic material testing requirements of the CPSIA and keep our children safe!
US Consumer Product Safety Commission list of recalls for lead exposure hazard to date